Date:      Fri, 25 Dec 1998 17:57:43 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Chad David <davidc@colnta.acns.ab.ca>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: > 8 Gig File System

On Thursday, 24 December 1998 at 17:28:46 -0700, Chad David wrote:

> I recently installed 2 10Gig IDE disks into a 3.0 current
> (Dec 21) machine.  I was able to create a full sized slice,
> but if I try to create a filesystem greater then 8000M I get
> the following error:
>
> Dec 24 17:15:20 colnta /kernel: wd1s1e: hard error writing fsbn 19999664 (wd1s1 bn 19999664; cn 19840 tn 14 sn 62) (status 51<rdy,seekdone,err> error 10<no_id>)
>
> If I create an 8000M filesystem, and then try and create another fs
> with the remaining 2Gig I get the same error:
>
> Dec 24 17:18:45 colnta /kernel: wd1s1f: hard error writing fsbn 3615664 (wd1s1 bn 19999664; cn 19840 tn 14 sn 62) (status 51<rdy,seekdone,err> error 10<no_id>)

Both of these messages are saying that they can't find block number
19999664, which would be about 40 GB from the beginning of the disk,
far beyond than your stated size of 8 GB.  It suggests to me that you
have somehow messed up the partition table (since the second one
suggests that your partition offset is reasonable).

> I have tried creating a normal slice and a "dangerously dedicated" slice,
> with the same results.
>
> This is a problem now because I know have 8Gig of unusable disk across
> 4 IDE drives... that is starting to be a lot!
>
> I am doing this via sysinstall (the newest from
> /usr/src/release/sysinstall) so could that be causing a problem??
>
> Any help or indication of what stupid thing I am doing wrong would
> be great.  I am from an AIX background, so obviously a lot of this
> is new to me... is vinum possibly an answer to my questions?

I'd suggest that you install one disk whichever way you can, and then
show the output of

  fdisk wd0
  disklabel wd0
  fdisk wd1
  disklabel wd1
  fdisk wd2
  disklabel wd2
  fdisk wd3
  disklabel wd3

If you prefer, you can copy down what the sysinstall partition editor
and label editor show, but make sure you get it *exactly* right.  If
they're all the same, of course, you only need to write it down one
time.

Greg