Date:      Wed, 07 Mar 2001 10:26:54 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   simple hardware interface

Hi, folks -

I'm looking to do some simple hardware IO on a picobsd system, and I
came across an old hardware interface protocol as per 'man 4 io'. Is
this a valid approach? It seems too easy, after all the driver source
I've been reading!

fh = open("/dev/io", O_RDONLY);
outb(port,value);
close(fh);

I just want to attach some bi-color LEDs to the settable lines (RTS,
DTR, TXD, etc.) in my second serial port and poke them a few dozen times
a second, and I'd rather not go to the trouble of sorting out a full
device driver.

Please reply directly, if you have experience with this. Thanks in
advance!
--
Don Wilde                  Don@Silver-Lynx.com
Silver Lynx   Embedded Microsystems Architects