Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2005 02:47:59 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "markzero" <mark@darklogik.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: DSL modem recommendation

Hi Mark,

  OK, pipex is one of those ISP's that doesen't give support to
non-customers
so your going to have to do a bit of legwork for me.

  First, are we talking PIPEX Xtreme Solo, or  PIPEX Xtreme Business?

  Next, log into the Pipex support site for the appropriate service you
have:

https://www.mypipex.net/solo/  or  https://www.mypipex.net/solo/

and go to the support section on DSL modems.  Let me know what the
DSL modem models are that are listed as supported.

If there isn't a listing there, then go to the online ordering
https://secure.pipex.net/cgi-bin/products/xtreme/modem-mf-order.pl
and make an order like you are ordering another modem, go almost
all the way through then abort the order, and in the middle of the
order it should give you a selection of modems that are available
from them for ordering.

Lastly, if you get nothing either of those methods, CALL them at
0845 077 2455  /  (0845 077 BILL) and ask for tech support and
ask for a list of supported modems.  ALSO, very important, if you
do call them ask what the VPI/VCI the modem is supposted to be
set at.  Usually 1/1, or 0/32, or 0/35, those are commonly used
ones.  If you have administrative access to the modem you have
now, it should show this.  Also ask them if it's regular DMT
issue or G.Lite DMT?  Adminstrative access to the modem you have
now should also tell this.

Also, please post the modem model that you are currently using
now (the piece of junk one that isn't working well)

I need to get an idea of the DSL modem chipsets they have their
service setup for.

Ted