Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 14:20:21 -0700
From:      Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com>
To:        "Alvaro Rosales R." <aran80@wintersperu.com.pe>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to upgrade from 4.3 to 4.7

> Hi fellows , can you tell me how can I upgrade my FreeBSD release 4.3
> to 4.7? .
> Thanks for your help

The following is one of several methods to accomplish this.  Also I am
making several assumptions about your system and its network setup.

** ** BACKUP ALL IMPORTANT DATA BEFORE DOING THIS ** **

** ** BE FAMILIAR WITH HOW TO BOOT INTO SINGLE USER MODE   ** **
** ** AND HOW TO LOAD ARBITRARY KERNELS FROM THE OK PROMPT ** **

In a nutshell...

First read the following :

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html

and

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

and any of the other many good chapters you feel inclined to read.

Install CVSUP if you don't already have it installed.  Go to
/usr/ports/net/cvsup and do a make install. ** NOTE ** It may be necessary
to manually install cvsup from a binary package.  Old versions of CVSUP
have a bug, and your ports tree may be out of date.

You can find a cvsup binary package at :

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/All/cvsup/cvsup-16.1f.tgz

** ** someone please correct the above URL if this is not the correct one ** **

When you have the package do :

> pkg_add cvsup-16.1f.tgz

If all goes well then

> cp /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile /etc/standard-supfile

edit /etc/standard-supfile

change :

*default host=CHANGE_THIS.FreeBSD.org

Set "CHANGE_THIS.FreeBSD.org" to a "close" cvsup server.  By close I mean
one that has either a good ping or the fewest hops in traceroute.

Here in Silicon Valley I used to get great speeds from cvsup14.FreeBSD.org
until I started running my own cvsup mirror, now I use my mirror.

change :

*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_7

**NOTE** "RELENG_4_7" will likely be different in your copy of
standard-supfile.  Change it to be "RELENG_4_7".  This is the 4.7 with
patches branch (a good one to track).

run :

> cvsup -g /etc/standard-supfile

This should begin the process of updating your /usr/src directory.
Depending on your network connection this may take from under an hour to
several hours.

*** NOTE *** you may want to do the same cvsup procedure using
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile to update /usr/ports.  Just copy
it to /etc, edit the "*default host=" line to the same as you used before,
then run "cvsup -g /etc/ports-supfile".  This will update all of
/usr/ports.

After the cvsup has completed you now have the 4.7 sources in /usr/src

You might need to completely remove /usr/obj, if so do "rm -rf /usr/obj"
** NOTE ** check your work.  Know what you are doing.  I take no
responsibility if you lose important files.

> cd /usr/src

** ** READ /usr/src/UPDATING  ** **

To build the 4.7 do :

> make buildworld && make buildkernel

Come back in a couple hours or a couple of days depending on the speed of
your CPU, how much memory it has, and how fast its disk/s is/are.

When that completes do :

> make installkernel

Reboot into single user mode.

** ** NOTE: If the new kernel craps out on you or otherwise
            fails to boot reset the machine, and at the "ok"
	    prompt boot with either kernel.GENERIC or kernel.old,
	    Then diagnose why the new kernel failed.  DO NOT
	    PROCEED with the remainder of the install until
	    this is resolved.

at the shell do :

> mount -a -t ufs
> cd /usr/src
> cd usr.sbin/mergemaster
> make && make install
> mergemaster -p

mergemaster will update your password and group files as necessary. **
NOTE ** be sure to keep your "root" entry from the installed password
file, as well as any other important user entries.

Now cd /usr/src

> make installworld

Now run mergemaster again to update the remaining configuration files.

> mergemaster

Reboot. Ta da 4.7-RELEASE, assuming everything went smoothly.

Good Luck.

 - Mike Hogsett