Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 20:33:04 -0400
From:      Clendaniel Ian IB <ian.clendaniel@phwilm.zeneca.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   XF86 with Neomagic Chipset...

Alright.  I know that the Neomagic chipset isn't directly supported with
XFree86 but I can't seem to even get the vga server up and running on
it.  I'm attempting to install 2.2.6 on a NEC Versa 6060 (P166/48Megs)
and the XF86Setup util seems to run fine but when I go to "startx"
afterwards the machine just freezes (it never goes anywhere...just sits
with startx displayed on the screen).  It has the Neomagic 128ZV chipset
and I'm trying to get it set up so that I can try the XiG X-server which
supports the chipset.  I'm at a loss as to what is wrong.  I have
reinstalled twice and also attempted to install on another laptop
(P200/64Megs) with the same video adapter.  I thought that the mouse was
messing it up (PS/2 touchpad...mouse daemon works fine during setup) so
I tried to disable but still ran into the same problems.  HELP!  I
really want to get rid of winblows on this laptop (it's the only machine
that I _don't_ have running FBSD) but unless I can get X running it's
not going to happen.

--Ian

Ian Clendaniel
IT Technition