Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 1996 14:57:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rlogin delay

On Mon, 17 Jun 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > I've observed something concerning rlogin that is a bit odd to me, and
> > increasingly annoying for my users. When a user logs off and then tries
> > to re-log within a reasonable delay from another machine on the local
> > network, the login will be ingored for a very long time (10-60 seconds
> > seems typical). I checked the /etc/inetd.conf to make sure it was okay:
>
> Did you turn on the global SO_KEEPALIVE that everyone was talking about?
> People who wanted this were MUD people and similar sites, without regard
> for the impact on things that didn't expect it to be on.

I basically installed/built whetever was the standard configuration
(2.1-stable)... I also tried the -n option for rlogind in /etc/inetd.conf
to no effect. The first couple of relog attempts usually work in a second
or two - subsequently, the delays required get pretty long.

> This would be a natural side effect of the thing having data to drain
> that your client didn't wait for because of the disconnect on the OOB.
>
> This is really a problem with setting SO_KEEPALIVE, not with rlogin.
>
> If you want it to operate correctly, you would need to delay the OOB
> disconnect for the flush interval for the non-OOB data (or add a
> "disconnect ack wait" to the server and a "disconnect ack" to the
> client.

The client here is not modifiable at all, unfortunately, and may
implement things less than perfectly (I've already found a problem with
what it propogates as window size to FreeBSD's rlogind).

-Dave Babler