Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 08:02:51 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Mr. K." <bsd@inbox.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: process stuck in ttywri

> This is the second time I've seen this on two completely different
> machines (different network, different configuration, different state) so
> I'm wondering if anyone else has run into it.  What happens is while I'm
> doing a make, one of the processes will get stuck.  If I look at top, I
> will see that one of the processes is stuck in ttywri.  I know I have very
> little information so I don't expect any solutions, but I was only
> wondering if maybe someone else has run into this also, or maybe it was
> already fixed?  Also, if anyone wants to tell me something specific I
> should look for next time it happens...
>
> FreeBSD [censored].home.com 3.4-STABLE FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE #1: Sun
> Dec 19 04:22:13 GMT 1999
> root@[censored].home.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/HOMER  i386

I saw this twice in one day on my back-end box running -current from
December 4.  I was (strangely enough) running ppp, and conveniently,
``show physical'' shows the results of an ioctl(TIOCOUTQ).  The tty
had (from memory) about 1700 bytes in the output queue.  I was still
receiving data but the output queue was jammed and the tty
(correctly) wasn't select()ing for write.

Unfortunately, as this is a TA, I had no CTS light to check, but I
assume CTS was not high and that the modem at the other end was
having problems.....  I actually wrote it off to a dodgy TA as I've
never seen the problem since :-/

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>