Date:      Sat, 08 Jan 2000 13:31:14 +0900
From:      Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>
To:        freebsd@cybcon.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPv6 testing...willing to help

> I have a DEC Alpha at home running 4.0-current and am willing to help out with
> the testing. I am not the worlds greatest coder, but am willing to do what I can

Thanks!

The 1st thing I want to be tested is that, a kernel with
following additions to the config file

  options 	INET6			#IPv6 communications protocols
  options 	IPSEC			#IP security
  options 	IPSEC_ESP		#IP security (crypto; define w/ IPSEC)
  options 	IPSEC_IPV6FWD		#IP security tunnel for IPv6
  options 	IPSEC_DEBUG		#debug for IP security

  pseudo-device	gif	4		#IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
  pseudo-device	faith	1		#for IPv6 and IPv4 translation

just works fine,
and also all apps on your environments which you are usually
using still works fine on that kernel.

Then, I would like to know if IPv6 addresses and routes are
successfully installed.
These can be checked by,
  ifconfig -a
  netstat -rn -f inet6

And if ping6 or traceroute6 to those addrs are successful.

Then, I think something like following tests are desirable,
but to do these checks, more than 1 host is necessary.
Here I'll just give rough explanation.

 (1)IPv6 host autoconfiguration

    router side needs to run usr.sbin/rtadvd with rtadvd.conf config file
    which includes address information to be auto configured.

      rtadvd -c rtadvd.conf bar0

    host needs to do following,

      sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=1
      rtsol bar0

    bar0 is any interface that either of the host and the
    router is connected.

    Details are in rtadvd(8), rtadvd.conf(5), rtsol(8)

 (2)IPv6 communication via IPv6 router

    Besides (1), router needs to run IPv6 routing
    daemon. Currently there is usr.sbin/route6d.
    Also, several global addr should be assigned to each of
    routers interface. If no global addr, then site local addr
    can be used for testing.(such as fec0:0:0:1::1)
    You can use ifconfig or prefix command to assign them.
    If assigning site local addr using prefix command,

      prefix bar0 fec0:0:0:1000::
      prefix bar1 fec0:0:0:2000::
      sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.forwarding=1
      route6d -l

    Details are in route6d(8)

 (3)IPsec between 2 hosts (IPsec transport mode)
    Setup IPsec association using usr.sbin/setkey on each host.
    Specify IPsec policy for apps which would like to use IPsec.
      Those apps must have an option which specify IPsec policy.
      Usually it is -P option.
      (currently, only supported by ping and some daemons)
    Or specify IPsec policy using usr.sbin/setkey on each host.

    Details are in setkey(8), ping(8), ipsec_set_policy(3)

 (4)IPsec between 2 routers (IPsec tunnel mode)
    Setup IPsec association and IPsec policy using
    usr.sbin/setkey on each routers.
    Also the default route is need to be installed on each routers,
    due to some current IPsec tunnel mode implementation issue.

    Details are in setkey(8), ipsec_set_policy(3)

If there is any unclear things, please ask me.

Yoshinobu Inoue