Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 01:39:45 -0400
From:      mace_nathan@ucwv.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   out of swap space

i am trying to compile kde3, kdelibs to be exact.  it seems that when it reaches
a certain part, it tries to compile it, then sucks up of the ram on my system,
then all of the swap space.  which caused bad things to happen.

what is causing this?  i did a full make clean and started over thinking one of
the temp files the compiler was using got hosed, but since it did it twice in a
row in what appears to be the same place i think it's a bug.

i'm using "gmake" to compile it.  i can post the output if the compile but i
don't think it would help. it quits with a internal compiler error at the same
time the system pukes because of no ram and no swap.  i'm running 4.5-stable. i
have 256 megs of ram and 128 megs of swap.  any ideas?  should i upgrade to the
latest gcc? or is that already in 4.5 stable?  and certain flags i should pass
configure?  any ideas at all?  thanks

please cc me any replies, i'm not a member of the list

nathan