Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 23:15:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      Adriaan de Groot <adridg@cs.kun.nl>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Physical markings on Myson Chip

Hi Ted, etc.,

The Myson NIC I have is a single-chip design, there are 4 capacitors, a
boot-prom socket and a black thing I can't identify on the card besides
the main chip. This has the markings:

5 strips forming the contour of a circle, with the letters "US" stamped
partly over top of the circle. To the right of that is "BC001" and
"0131AG7433".

The card is manuactured -- or sold at least -- under the name Safeway
(www.safeway.to) and the image on the box has the same kind of chip but
with "0041AFA3K1" as "long number" on it, so I take that to be a chip
serial number. The little manual included with the card makes *no* mention
of which chipset it actually is.

All the windows drivers included on the disk mention *only* Myson MTD 803
in the context of the chipset or card identifier (incidentally, I see
Myson listed under the "corporations that use FreeBSD" in the handbook
somewhere -- I haven't actually looked there). The drivers go so far as to
have "interesting" function names like _mii_setport.

Anyway, I'm still in the dark regarding this particular NIC and am
sticking by my original question (is there a porting guide so that I can
get this driver working under -stable?).

[ade]