Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2000 00:41:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
To:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: more ata0 problems

On Sat, 25 Nov 2000, Kal Torak wrote:
> ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
> ata0: resetting devices .. done
[..]
> This was on my IBM laptop, and I have had no problems with any of
> the previous versions...
> It would seem there must be some bug in the ata driver?

I suspect that it's a matter of a new diagnostic suddenly causing people
to think there's a new error present, when they simply didn't see it
before.  I started seeing it when I did an upgrade a month ago too, and
thought it was an error, before I realized I really WAS having drive
problems.  The only other explanation is that the ata driver is somehow
causing these new errors to appear, but I consider that unlikely; since
getting a new hard drive (same model, same machine, etc) I'm not seeing
the errors, and the old hard drive died hard (unable to even boot now) not
something I'd suspect the ata driver of causing.

	Brian