Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 15:26:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Todd Meister <todd@lmi.net>
To:        David Coder <dacoder@dcoder.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting from da0s1e

On 29-Jul-99 David Coder wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Todd Meister wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to get a hard disk to boot from / mounted on da0s1e, rather than
>> the typical da0s1a.  I tried putting the line:
>> 0:da(0,e)/kernel
>>
>> in /boot.config, but that did nothing.
>>
>> I recompiled the kernel, changing
>>
>> config          kernel  root on da0

>> config          kernel  root on da0s1e
>>
>> but nothing changed.  It still uses 0:da(0,a)/kernel as default.
>>
>> Is there something very obvious that I'm missing?
>
> Yes, that /dev/da0s1e mounts by default on /var.  There's nothing on that
> device that is useful for booting.
>
> dc

I have /var mounted on da1s1e.

This came about because the first hard drive was failing, and when I replaced
it, I messed up with disklabel, and now the root partition is da0s1e.  I
thought, from the look of the kernel config file, that it was possible to
change the default partition.  Is this not the case?

-Todd