Date:      Sat, 2 May 2009 10:03:43 -0400
From:      John Almberg <jalmberg@identry.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [pure-ftpd] Security Scan question

On May 2, 2009, at 8:50 AM, Frank Denis wrote:

>   Hello Josh,
>
> Le Fri, May 01, 2009 at 08:55:10AM -0500, Josh Trutwin ecrivait :
>> Because I programmed a custom cart solution for one of my customers,
>> their merchant account is doing a monthly server scan to check for
>> known vulnerabilities.
>
>   Great.

I've had to endure these scans, myself, and I must say that they
helped a lot. The scans are pretty thorough and they made me re-think
some things I was doing... particularly limiting access to ports that
I thought 'needed' to be open, but actually just needed to be open to
a small number of outside addresses. Thank goodness for PF... would
hate to try to pass one of those scans without a flexible firewall.

-- John