Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 16:40:07 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <jacco@lionsoft.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: DNS Question

> Hi all,
>
> Maybe it is a stupid question, but my /var/log/messages keeps saying:
>
> named[31077]: denied update from [local IP address].2018 for "local
domain"
> IN
>
> "2018" seems to be a process ID. "Local domain" is not valid/existend on
the
> internet.
> Is the machine "local IP address" trying to update the DNS configuration?
> How, Why ?
> "Local IP address" is a windows 2000 professional client PC who is using
the
> DNS on my FreeBSD machine.

2018 is actually a port address.  The message is telling you that the Win2K
machine is attempting to perform a Dynamic DNS update (which is not allowed
by your current bind configuration).  Turn off DDNS on the Win2K box and the
errors should go away.  (Go to the LAN adapter's properties, select
TCP/IP -> Properties -> Advanced -> DNS -> *uncheck* "Register this
connection's addresses in DNS")

--
Matt Emmerton