Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 20:53:58 -0000
From:      "Roger" <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        "Donald Burr" <dburr@pobox.com>, "FreeBSD Multimedia" <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problems with Bt848/Phillips-based TView 99 TV+FM Radio card

Hi Donald.

The quick answer is, you'll never get any audio with the
Askey/Dynalink Magic TView card with the exisitng bktr driver.

But there is hope.

The technical reason is that I do not know the GPIO values for the
Audio-Mux on the card.
We need to do some cleaver hacking to work them out.

Now the long answer.
TV cards generate audio from several sources, TV, FM Radio, Stereo Decoders,
Line-In sockets.
There is just one Line-Out socket, so the card needs an Audio-Multiplexer
(basically a switch) to select one of these audio sources for output.

Almost all TV cards implement this audio switch differently.
We need to know how Askey connected the switch on their cards.

This switch (or audio-mux) is connected to the GPIO port on the Bt848/878
The GPIO is a 24 bit input/output port. By setting certain output pins high
and
low, we can control the selected audio source.
We need to know which GPIO pins the audio mux is connected to and which
GPIO values switch us between each audio source.

We can do this several ways. Take a nosey through the Windows Registry and
Windows Drivers, run a Windows program which spies on the Windows driver
and the GPIO port status, check the linux driver,
or do a very long winded trial and error.

Unfortunatly, it is Christmas. I'm at my parents where there is no FreeBSD
boxes.
So this will have to wait until January.

Agt least we know the Tuner works and the FM radio (as you saw the signal
streangth
go up correctly)

In the mean time, check your Windows driver disk, extracted driver files
and Registry for things like audio_mux, multiplexer, GPIO or
General Purpose Input Output settings. Look for words like
Mute, Line-In, TV, Mono, Stereo, FM.

Bye
Roger

Other answers to your questions are....

> My first problem occurred when I first tried to configure the driver.  The
> card probed as a TView card, but the tuner was probed as a Temic NTSC
> tuner.

tuner probing is really a load of rubbish. The truth is that there is no
way for the driver to ask the tuner what make./type it is.
The onlt solution is if the card has an EEPROM onboard with card
configuration
data stored in (which incudes the tuner type) Hauppauge and AverMedia do
this.

  This was obviously incorrect (the tuner has a big PHILLIPS sticker
> on it), so I inserted the OVERRIDE_TUNER option to set it to the Phillips
> FR1236 tuner (which is the only Philips tuner listed that supports FM
> radio and NTSC).

Good choice.

> So I went to ports and compiled fxtv and xmradio.  Upon running fxtv, I
> see the following error messages:
>
> [dburr@locutus:102 ~]% fxtv
> ioctl(BT848_SAUDIO, 128) failed: Input/output error
> ioctl(BT848_SAUDIO, 129) failed: Input/output error

This means you do not have a working Sound Card.
If you have Speakers plugged into the Line-Out of your TV Card,
you can just ignore this message.