Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 01:40:24 +0100
From:      John Murphy <john253@crosswinds.net>
To:        "Dana" <akadanak@kc.rr.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firewalls

"Dana" <akadanak@kc.rr.com> wrote:

>I can't find any firewalls in the ports directories. What=20
>firewalls are people using with freeBSD?

One of the minor features of FreeBSD is that firewall functions are
built in, and enabled with just a few options.  If you are connecting
using the point to point protocol (PPP) then user ppp has a configurable
firewall built in.  Type 'man ppp' for one of the best 'man' pages I've =
seen.
Or: =
http://www.google.com/bsd?q=3Dppp+firewall&num=3D100&site=3Dsearch&restri=
ct=3Dbsd&hl=3Den&safe=3Doff&btnG=3DGoogle+Search=20
=46or larger networks, a choice of ipfw or ipfilter is easily =
configurable by the
addition of a few lines in a custom kernel.  Deciding what rules you need=
 and
implementing them is neo-exciting.

Charlie Schloemer mentioned the bpf (Berkeley Packet Filter).  I think =
this is
not necessary unless you need to snoop your network with tcpdump etc. I =
think
there are security reasons for not enabling bpf.  Especially for a =
firewall box.

HTH
John.