Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:16:29 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RANDOMDEV inspired realitycheck regarding i386/i486...

Adrian Chadd wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 14, 2000, Ben Smithurst wrote:
> > Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >
> > > If no /entropy is found it takes a full minute to do the randomdev
> > > seeding during boot on a P5/133.
> > >
> > > Has anybody run a 486 or 386 under current recently ?
> >

> 386'en might still have a place for small embedded products but I'm
> proabably going to be flamed when I say I think FreeBSD-current isn't
> very suited to "embedded 386 with tiny everything" applications.

<flame on>
Of course it is.  You'd be astonished the tiny amounts of cpu power
applied to a lot of ordinary tasks like small routers and such.  FreeBSD
on 386-class devices is entirely appropriate for any number of such
devices, especially with companies like GE making actual appliances
(washers, dryers, microwave ovens) that have HPNA or powerline IP
networking built in.
<flame off>

OK, so it was a candle rather than a flamethrower.  It should be made
simple to compile in a much less random randomdev for applications that
do not need high-quality entropy, like the IP stack on your dishwasher.