Date:      Tue, 1 Jul 1997 07:50:06 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        ahd@kew.com (Drew Derbyshire)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NEC and bootable CD-ROMS

As Drew Derbyshire wrote:

>   Any
> clue how standard their method is and it is worth including the
> proper boot blocks on the FreeBSD CD-ROM?

It's a little more than just a few blocks of a CD.  There's a so-
called standard called `El Torito'.  Once you dig into it, you'll
learn that it's basically the same sort of crappy definitions you can
find all over the place in the PeeCee world.  They went great lengths
about totally unimportant things, forgot quite a number of very
important things, and finally, you won't ever find a vendor who's even
implementing everything that's standardized I) at all, and II)
correctly.

Making a bootable installation CD-ROM is not too difficult, and Jordan
did it for FreeBSD >= 2.2.1.  Making a bootable `generic filesystem'
CD-ROM turned out to be more trouble, and i've still not yet finished
debugging all the work in this area i did so far.

--
cheers, J"org