Date:      Thu, 22 May 1997 02:12:16 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        HARDWARE@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: isa bus and boca multiport boards

Brett Glass wrote in message ID
<3.0.1.32.19970521231927.006a1a5c@lariat.org>:
> >the 8250 family UARTS, and macrocells compatible with them, are used
> >on a staggering array of computing hardware.  Look at the Alpha
> >platforms that are a hot FreeBSD port target for example.

> In which case, they can stick with the C version -- or, if they need
> performance, do a tuned ASM version for that processor.

Please, no. I think the last thing a lot of people would want to see
is 5 different versions of sio.S, one for each platform we (in the
future) support. Generic drivers which are applicable to multiple
platforms should stay as generic as possible. If that means sticking
in C, so be it. Machine machine dependant versions just will cause
hassle down the road.

Example which is still fresh in peoples memories: Garrett's change to
the networking code which broke some protocol families. All it takes
is Bruce (for example) to do a re-write of part of the tty driver, and
slightly change the interface presented, et voila, the build for
multiple platforms falls over. I DO NOT expect developers to learn the
assembler of every platform we support!! It's why so much of the
kernel is in C when it could very easily be optimized into
assembler. The advantages of keeping the code in C are clear.

I, for one, do not want to see our move to multiple architecture
support to a nightmare. Some common sense now about what can and
cannot be done reasonably will save a lot of hassle later.

Gary