Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 2008 23:45:43 -0700
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Andreas Rudisch <"cyb."@gmx.net>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Azureus + 7-STABLE == Slow download + No Upload

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 09:04:46PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> - --On Tuesday, April 01, 2008 16:18:00 +0200 Andreas Rudisch <cyb.@gmx.net>
> wrote:
>
> > I had the problem too when testing FreeBSD 7.0-RC2. Azureus would start
> > but data transfer was very slow, if there was a connection happing to
> > other peers at all.
> >
> > On FreeBSD 6.1/2/3 Azureus shows the same behaviour (at least on my PC)
> > when _not_ using /etc/libmap.conf to map libthread to libc_r.
> >
> > Work-arounds like using other clients are one thing, but I would like
> > to see a fix for this on FreeBSD 7. Is there anything that can be done
> > to help identify / solve the problem?
>
> I have to agree here ... with the report that 7.x is 15% hten current Linux
> kernel on SMP systems, it would definitely set us back in the good PR dept if
> we have a problem with our java :(

The reason that we've persisted with doing patchsets for Java is so that
everybody can get at the source and investigate/fix things which are
important to them.  I've persistently argued against switching solely to
binary releases, when that has come up, for just this reason.

So, if you can't find someone on the porting team who is both interested
and has time to investigate it right now then there are a number of things
you can do yourselves to start the investigation.  Here are some
possibilities:

. Look through the list archives into what people have found out about
  problems with Azureus before.  This isn't the first time this has come
  up.
. Look at what the kernel threads are doing periodically with ps(1).
. Dump the Java threads periodically.
. Run Azureus under ktrace and look at what syscalls are being made.
  There is going to be a lot of output from ktrace I expect, so its
  going to take some time to sort through.
. Run this on 6.x and 7.x and try the different threading libraries.
. Run it on Linux and compare what it does if you're interested.
. Run it under different JDKs to see if that makes any difference.

None of this will even require getting your hands dirty with the code, it
will just take some time commitment to do it and analyse the results.

If you wanted to go further you could start trying to mess around with
gdb and/or trace statements in the code.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org