Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 20:05:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        miku <miku@bom7.vsnl.net.in>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: error 8182

miku writes:
> I'm running Communicator 4.06 on FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE.   If I have Java
>                   enabled, and go to a page where there is an applet
> available, an error
>                   dialog pops up with the following message:-
>
>                   # Error: The server's certificate has an invalid
> signature.
>                   You will not be able to connect to this site securely.
> (-8182)
>                   # jar file:
> /usr/local/lib/netscape/java/classes/java40.jar
>                   # path:
> /usr/local/lib/netscape/java/classes/java40.jar
>
> please send me the solution

To quote the old saw "don't do that". Java in that version of Netscape
is a serious security problem. There are known security exploits in
Java in every version of Netscape to at least 4.74 (I forget if 4.75
was a Java or Javascript bug). Update your Navigator.

You probably also ought to upgrade your FreeBSD. To 2.2.8 at the
*very* least. However, there are known security problems in anything
prior of 3.5 and 4.1.

	<mike