Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 13:20:11 -0400
From:      "ben @ instantemail.net" <ben@instantemail.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IDE Tape

questions,                 Thursday, June 01, 2000

  I have recently installed an IDE Tape drive (/dev/rwst0) on a
FreeBSD 3.4R box and I am having quite a bit of difficulty getting it
to work properly. An mt(1) command has been hung for several days now
with no way to kill it and any additional mt(1) commands to the tape hang
in the same state:

~: ps wuwax | grep "[m]t"
root   16912  0.0  0.6   764  344  p2  DE+  -         0:00.00  (mt)
root   19325  0.0  0.7   764  352  p1  D+   Fri08PM   0:41.50 mt rewind

   As root I tar'ed root's ~ ( tar -cf /dev/rswt0 /root ) which
appeared to work, but when I sent `tar -tf /dev/rwst0` it lists most
of the files but terminates before the end with (sorry it was several
days ago when I did this and I don't want to hang a remote process
trying to recreate the error) some message about "unexpected EOF" or
"garbage in the archive". Can anyone send me a clue about how I should
properly be accessing the tape please?

   (I've also had issues with make [build]world which is why I'm still
on 3.4R of a few months ago but that's a separate issue and may well
be operator error.)

--Ben
mailto:ben@instantemail.net