Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2000 02:43:38 -0500
From:      Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, xyf@stocke.com, lm@bitkeeper.com
Subject:   Re: why linux faster?

Why is this considered a problem?  Not all OS'es are created equal.  Linux
has a lot of good things about it.  FreeBSD has a lot of good things about
it.  They both have their drawbacks as well which in my opinion these
drawbacks are subjective to the end user and SysAd (unless the drawback(s)
are bugs of course).  Unless you are being sarcastic (which it seems you
very well could be), I would think that there is nothing that needs to be
"analyzed & fixed"...*maybe* improved but only if that improvement is not
one that will detriment the *good* things about the OS.  Lets face it, we
are all using FreeBSD because of many different reasons.  Personally, one
mine wasn't because FreeBSD was faster than Linux or vice versa.  I use
both OS'es, and frankly I like FreeBSD better for a number of reasons but I
really like Linux too.  I say that the answer to the question is...

Linux is somewhat faster than FreeBSD...so what?! :)  FreeBSD is cooler!
=P  Is it always about speed?  Why can't they just get along?  Picture
this...a Penguin with a daemon on his shoulder!!!

I just thought I would put my two sense in ;)

- Jim

At 11:09 PM 12/30/2000 -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>* Albert D. Cahalan <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> [001230 00:52] wrote:
> >
> > Alfred Perlstein writes:

> > > I'm pretty sure glibc caches the pid of the process in userspace.
> >
> > Nope, FreeBSD is just 42% slower. Some "strace" (system call trace)
> > output to show you that glibc does not cache the pid:
> >
> > getpid()                                = 11534
> > getpid()                                = 11534
> > getpid()                                = 11534
> > getpid()                                = 11534
> >
> > (it goes on like that for a damn log time)
> >

>Ok, this is all wonderful, can any of you guys do some analysis
>so that we can address the problem?
>
>--
>-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@wintelcom.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
>"I have the heart of a child; I keep it in a jar on my desk."

- Jim
- NOTJames
- jconner@enterit.com

- | Today's errors, in contrast:                                           |
- | Windows - "Invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll at 0032:A16F2935" |
- | UNIX    - "segmentation fault - core dumped"                           |
- | Humans  - "OOPS, I've fallen and I can't get up"                       |
- (To view this properly use a non-proportional font in your MUA)