Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:44:30 -0700
From:      "JannaDanRich" <house@lvcm.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   IPFILTER and 502 port command errors with FTP

------=_NextPart_000_00C5_01C0C816.13971CC0

I have a gateway box that I am using 4.3rc3 and kernel is compiled with =
IPFILTER .. and DEFAULT_BLOCK, my ruleset is simple for the moment, have =
three pass out quick keep state for proto udp,tcp,icmp  with some drop =
all short and specific logs for smurf attacks etc .. since at the moment =
I have no services to the outside world, that is pretty much it

Everytime, my roommate tries to access ftp, he gets 502 error, this is =
both in Win2k .. and on his G4 powerbook with OS X .. my RedHat box =
works great in passive, but my BSD will not?

first thing I have tried is copying rulesets over to different file, and =
using only=20
Pass in qucik all from any to any
pass out quick all from any to any

no go, I even rebooted, just to verify to myself that these rulsets were =
in fact loaded .. still same error

I did read somewhere that ipnat could not read from drive when kern =
security level was set to 2 ..=20

I also found information that IPFILTER couldn't handle the frag packets =
associated with FTP .. (this seemed to be a much older version)

I was hoping that someone may have experienced this problem or similar =
and could advise .. should I ditch IPFILTER and use IPFW and natd?  =
which worked great on prior setup with an older machine, but never =
familiarized myself with IPFW rulesets

Thanks

------=_NextPart_000_00C5_01C0C816.13971CC0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have a gateway box that I am using =
4.3rc3 and=20
kernel is compiled with IPFILTER .. and DEFAULT_BLOCK, my ruleset is =
simple for=20
the moment, have three pass out quick keep state for proto=20
udp,tcp,icmp&nbsp;&nbsp;with some drop all short and&nbsp;specific logs =
for=20
smurf attacks etc .. since at the moment I have no services to the =
outside=20
world, that is pretty much it</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Everytime, my roommate tries to access =
ftp, he gets=20
502 error, this is both in Win2k .. and on his G4 powerbook with OS X .. =
my=20
RedHat box works great in passive, but my BSD will not?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>first thing I have tried is copying =
rulesets over=20
to different file, and using only </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Pass in qucik all from any to =
any</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>pass out quick all from any to =
any</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>no go, I even rebooted, just to verify =
to myself=20
that these rulsets were in fact loaded .. still same error</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I did read somewhere that ipnat could =
not read from=20
drive when kern security level was set to 2 .. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I also found information that IPFILTER =
couldn't=20
handle the frag packets associated with FTP .. (this seemed to be a much =
older=20
version)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I was hoping that someone may have =
experienced this=20
problem or similar and could advise .. should I ditch IPFILTER and use =
IPFW and=20
natd?&nbsp; which worked great on prior setup with an older machine, but =
never=20
familiarized myself with IPFW rulesets</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00C5_01C0C816.13971CC0--