Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:18:10 -0500
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Defining Make Variables from the Command Line

	What is the correct command line syntax for "defining" a
variable to the Makefile?

	The expect port will make either with or without X11 support.
I want it without X11 and there is an ifdefine WITHOUT_X11 test in the
Makefile.  My only problem is I remember that it can be done, but I
don't remember the exact syntax.  Sometimes, if you get those wrong,
make still works but you get the build you didn't want.   Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group