Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 2004 09:02:08 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@bitfreak.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: uuencode(1) doesn't work?

--FkmkrVfFsRoUs1wW

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 11:41:08PM -0700, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> I'm trying to uuencode some data, but uuencode doesn't seem to work
> properly.  I'm using FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE-p22.  Here are some examples:
>=20
> $ date | uuencode
> usage: uuencode [-m] [-o outfile] [infile] remotefile
>        b64encode [-o outfile] [infile] remotefile
> $ cat /etc/rc.conf | uuencode
> usage: uuencode [-m] [-o outfile] [infile] remotefile
>        b64encode [-o outfile] [infile] remotefile
> $
>=20
> Specifying a filename, rather than using a pipe, doesn't seem to work
> either:
>=20
> $ uuencode file
> begin 644 file
>=20
> After printing the begin line it idles.  A debug copy of uuencode run
> with gdb shows the program stopping on the read() call trying to get
> data (fread() called from the while loop in encode()).
>=20
> Anyone know why?

It has insane arcane syntax -- you need to specify 'file' because that's
what's written in the begin line, PLUS you need to give it data:

$ uuencode file < file > file.uu

should work.

--Stijn

--=20
If today is the first day of the rest of your life, what the hell was
yesterday?

--FkmkrVfFsRoUs1wW

--FkmkrVfFsRoUs1wW--