Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 14:11:17 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        support@cdrom.com (Jamil Weatherbee)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD install problems (fwd)

> I am trying to install FreeBSD on a PC that has had the disk parititioned
> using FIPS.  It is a 520M disk with 201M for DOS and 319 for FreeBSD.  I
> setup a swap space of 32M, a root file system of 20M and the remaining
> space for usr.

If this is the actual order, place the root FS before the swap (slice a,
then slice b).  Most likely, this is the "zero bias swap error" to keep
the swap from dumping on the disklabel.

> Is it possible that I have a bad sector in the middle of the swap space
> that is causing this problem?  I did a scandisk before partitioning the
> disk and did find some bad blocks that were marked bad.  These marked
> blocks are probably not seen by FreeBSD.  I'm just guessing here after
> some converstation with some engineers here who have installed FreeBsD
> on their computers.

It's possible, but more likely, the driver is complaining.  From
the address range, it's at the front of the swap area, which makes it
inherently suspicious.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---