Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 22:54:27 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        Mark Thomas <thomas@pbegames.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PPP, NAT, and battlenet

On 10/24/01 10:15 PM, Mark Thomas sat at the `puter and typed:
> I'm running a small network behind a FreeBSD box running ppp -nat to a DSL
> modem. All my networking services seem to be working fine, except battlenet
> (*).
>
> Case in point, I can join remotely hosted games of Diablo II from my
> private side Windows box, but no one can join a game I host, which kind of
> makes sense, since they would have to be able to open a connection to my
> hidden machine.
>
> I tried using ipfw to forward the appropriate port (6112 udp/tcp) directly
> to my Windows box, but no dice.
>
> Has anyone gotten this working? If so, care to share? I'd hate to have to
> switch my network over to host battlenet games. :)
>
> [Please cc me via email to any response. TIA]
>
> (*) battlenet is Blizzard Software's free game network.

I'm sorry that I can't solve your problem for you, but I haven't tried
to join a Battle.net game in some time (back when I was still cutting
my teeth on Linux).  I never could get connected because it just
couldn't do the masquerading properly.

I haven't tried yet, since moving on up to FreeBSD 4.4 with ipfw and
natd (just basic translation), mostly because I just didn't know what
ports I had to translate back to the Winbox.

I'm very interested in the configuration that allows you to connect to
and play external games without any such problems; care to share the
details?

TIA & HAND
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

travel, n.:
  Something that makes you feel like you're getting somewhere.