Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 11:06:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Steve Shah <sshah@clickarray.com>
Cc:        Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BPF vs. promiscuous mode

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Steve Shah wrote:

> Aside: If you haven't already, I assume you have NAT'd off your dorms
> and firewalled them up the wazoo, right? I know at my old university,
> unauthorized servers were a real ugly problem. On more than one
> occation, we would see MRTG graphs go all green.... It was not a pretty
> sight. This was because students were given real IP addy's. What
> should have been done (and hopefully done by now... it's been a while
> since I've seen their network) is to have all the students NAT off
> into the 10.0.0.0 network. This would keep the servers from coming
> in.

Bah!  I'm giving you the no fun network administrator badge.  NATing might
help in the short-term, but it also breaks stuff like ICQ/video games/etc,
which students probably use a lot.  (What?  They're there to study?)  I'd
guess the next-generation mp3/file sharing programs will probably find
ways to avoid the roadblocks NAT puts up anyway, unfortunately - and
that's where the major bandwidth is, not http/ftp servers (at madison,
anyway.)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack