Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 17:22:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: thoteditor ports ingores CC, CFLAGS, existing jpeg and png libs

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> > Fine, Mikhail, this thing is a huge monster, and it works, if you want
> > it better then you better go  to your keyboard. The binary it installs
> > hasn't got the  debug symbols, it works  fine, and I invite  you to go
> > take a look at it.
>
> Uh-oh. Sorry, I did not mean to offend you...

Ugh, I should have taken more care to be clear, you didn't offend me.
This port had so many busted build setups, and was so incorrectly doc'd,
it was a real nightmare making it all work.  I stopped just as soon as I
had something that wouldn't sit up and snap at you.

[On the first successful build, that's precisely what the binary did!]

> BTW, the installed binary  does not work by itself --  it is looking for
> THOTDIR  environment variable,  does  not have  tables  for Russian  and
> speaks French  if the language  is set to C.  Some of this  problems (at
> least the THOTDIR) should be solved by  the shell script, like it is for
> may other things.

Oh, that stuff.  Before I had to go into the code and patch it up, it was
even worse.  I fixed it so that it no longer leaves you in a forever loop
on startup (now, it at least installs a .thotrc in your home dir for you).
As far as having to set a THOTDIR, I included a shell wrapper, called
"thoteditor", that sets the THOTDIR right, for you (that was Satoshi's
suggestion).  I couldn't change things too much, they've actually managed
to sew the binary's home dir name into the startup font and style files.
Try moving the thot binary from /usr/local/bin to, say, /opt/bin, and
you're in for a surprise!  it respects one binary location, on build.

> Also, it  installs a  lot into  /usr/local/bin/ including  an executable
> named `print', which is bound to overwrite some home-cooked print-script
> on many installations :)

It uses those, Mikhail, and needs them, your criticism is valid for every
single port, so I have to ignore that.  Would you believe that thot needs
thot to build itself?  A language, that I could understand, but an editor?

> > Oh, and don't bother reading the build instructions that come with it,
> > they're fairy tales.
>
> (-; And,  I suppose, the French  developers don't care for  the comments
> coming from an American porter :) ?

I tried, no response.  Honestly, you can go change this, if you have the
time and patience, but once you go hacking into it, I strongly suspect
that you'll understand my position better.  Taking out things like libpng,
those were actually very good suggestions, normally they'd be right.

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)