Date:      Fri,  3 Sep 1999 18:42:42 -0500
From:      Gerd Knops <gerti@bitart.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Vinum mirror and strategies for root partition backup

Hello all,

FreeBSD can't be booted from a Vinum drive. I am trying to find a setup that
still gives me optimum safety with lowest possible downtime. I will use two
disk drives of the same size.

Is this strategy sound:

- Install 3.2 with the usual slices on the first disk
- Put identical slices on the second disk
- Make /usr a vimnum drive, mirrored onto the second drive
- Make /var a link to /usr/var
- Use dump/restore to duplicate the / partition to the second drive (and do
so each time something is modified on /)

Now:
- If the second disk fails, the system should just continue to work.
- If the first disk fails, it can be replaced with the second disk and the
system will work again.

Is this strategy sound?

Does vinum store 'absolute' drive info on it's drives, meaning would it get
confused in the second case above where the first disk is replaced by the
second disk?

Thanks

Gerd