Date:      Thu, 13 Oct 2005 08:35:21 +0400
From:      "Andrew P." <infofarmer@gmail.com>
To:        Efren Bravo <efrenba@dhl.co.cu>
Cc:        freeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: proxy server

On 10/13/05, Efren Bravo <efrenba@dhl.co.cu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to install a proxy server to manage these features: http cache,
> content filtering (forbidden words, ActiveX, java, url. etc), users,
> groups, ips' control access, time ranges to ie access.
>
> I want to hear some suggestions based on your experiences.
>
> Thanks...

rg"

We've got squid+adzap filtering out porn and ads.

It's a dual PIII server, with an IDE hard disk. It serves
3000+ clients (around 30Gb daily). It works great. We
also use jftpgw as an ftp proxy.

Users, groups, ip-addresses, time ranges are all
easily configurable via squid, but for comprehensive
Chinese-style filtering of the content (not just based
on the URL), you'll need something like
dansguardian, like Andras told us here.