Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:58:24 +0930
From:      Andrew Reid <andrew.reid@plug.cx>
To:        Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSup vs. CVS

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 06:00:11PM -0700, Wayne Lubin wrote:

> I am running 4.2 and wish to upgrade to 4.4 release by
> getting the sources and compiling the world. I have
> read up on CVS and am not exactly certain that I know
> what to do. Would the following command, after logging
> in of course, do what I want? And if so, do I need to
> make the command inside of the /usr/src directory?
> Also, one more thing. I spoke with "someone" and they
> said that I was crazy for using CVS to do what I want
> to do. Is this true? The handbook seems to think it is
> ok to use CVS.  Well here is the command that I wanted
> you to check. Thanks.

Use CVSup. If you're not entirely familiar with the process, there's
always cvsupit. Just execute pkg_add -r cvsupit (as root). That'll
download and fire up a GUI for selecting the modules to update.

It might take some time depending on your connection and how much of the
system you wish to download. Just let it go, even if it does seem to
have died.

If you have trouble with ``pkg_add -r'' you can download
``cvsupit-3.0.tar.gz'' from any one of the mirrors in the
ports/i386/packages/4.4-release/All directory.

   - andrew

--
void signature () {
	cout << "Andrew Reid -- andrew.reid@plug.cx" << endl;