Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2000 12:49:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Operador del sistema <operador@nietzsche.webcaribe.net>
To:        "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade kernel

> From: "Operador del sistema" <operador@nietzsche.webcaribe.net>
> > Hi, our principal server runs freebsd-3.4, it recives a hdlc internet line
> > using a et5025-16 board (etinc.com).
> > In order to set up the board on freebsd, etinc.com provides a driver
> > depending on each kernel version. Mine is 3.4 version. here it's the dmesg
> > part:
> >
> > ET/5025(-16,PQ),ET/HSSI HDLC Driver v3.16-beta
> > eth0 at 0x240-0x24f irq 5 maddr 0xd0000 on isa
> >
> > I would like to know what will happens when i will try to "make world" to
> > the -stable code?, I mean, how existent driver will be added to new kernel
> > code?
> > Please, i really appreciate your help, this is a "productive" box and we
> > cant stop the internet line.
>
> First you need to check:
>
>     ftp://ftp.etinc.com/pub/freebsd
>
> for the latest driver for the version of FreeBSD that you want to upgrade
> to.
>
>     4.1    freebsd41_hdlc_3.16l.tgz
>     3.4    freebsd34_hdlc_3.16l.tgz
>
> Then follow the instructions in /usr/hdlc/doc/bsdman.htm on how to install
> the driver into your kernel.
>
> Which version of FreeBSD -Stable do you want to upgrade to (3.5 or 4.2)?

Well, i am confused, if i run this supfile:
*default tag=RELENG_3
*default host=cvsup3.freebsd.org
*default prefix=/usr
*default base=/usr
*default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
src-base
src-bin
src-contrib
src-etc
src-gnu
src-include
src-kerberosIV
src-lib
src-libexec
src-release
src-sbin
src-share
src-sys
src-tools
src-usrbin
src-usrsbin
doc-all
ports-all tag=.

What "-stable" version will i recive? 3.5-stable or 4.2-stable?

Also, Scot, when i installed this system (6 mouths ago, or so) i
downloaded etinc.com drivers and added the code to the kernel.
Now, upgrading the system to -stable, do i need to install the driver
again? If i do, the same version (3.4)?

Thanks for help,