Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 15:35:01 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Kiril Mitev <kiril@ideaglobal.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "no memory for rx list"

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:07:57 GMT, Kiril Mitev wrote:

> Dear All .... therein a log dump from one of our
> (rather busy) servers:

I'm glad you mentioned that, since it makes the explanation more
plausible. :-)

> Apr 12 23:32:39 excalibur /kernel: xl1: no memory for rx list --
> packet dropped!

The manual page for the xl(4) driver says:

        xl%d: no memory for rx list The driver failed to allocate an
        mbuf for the receiver ring.

Using the search engine on the FreeBSD web page to search for "mbuf",
the first hit I get turns up this:

        The panic indicates that the system ran out of virtual memory
        for network buffers (specifically, mbuf clusters). You can
        increase the amount of VM available for mbuf clusters by adding:

		options "NMBCLUSTERS=<n>"

        to your kernel config file, where <n> is a number in the range
        512-4096, depending on the number of concurrent TCP connections
        you need to support. I'd recommend trying 2048 - this should get
        rid of the panic completely.  You can monitor the number of mbuf
        clusters allocated/in use on the system with netstat -m. The
        default value for NMBCLUSTERS is 512 + MAXUSERS * 16.

While you're not getting a panic, the advice is still sound.

Ciao,
Sheldon.