Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 1999 21:54:10 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <st@i-plus.net>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Sprint vs Quest

We're on GTEI and Sprint...

> This isn't exactly proprietary information, but i've seen people paying as
> much as 1500 to 2000 a month for a 128kilobit connection. I have gotten
> quotes from Sprint for T1's that were over 3000 a month (!). Thats
> *excluding* loop charges from local telco. The cheapest Sprint T1 i've
> seen was for like 1750.. again, excluding local loop charges.

Don't quote me, but I believe we're paying <$2k for port+loop (full T1, ~250
miles)

> But I can say from personal experience, their network monitoring center
> was pretty up on things usually. There were countless times we knew about
> and were working on an outage way before customers even knew about it.

Their network monitoring center isn't quite that good.  The availiable
bandwdith on our Sprint T1 dropped to about 24kbp/s for nearly 45 minutes.
I called their operations center, and they knew nothing about it, nor did
they have any data concerning the incident.

It was the next day when I finally got to talk to a cluefull noc guy and he
dug through logs.  Seems something with a FDDI ring went down for a short
period of time, causing the interuption in bandwidth availiablity.  In this
case, it would have been better for us if the T1 had gone completely dead.

How could Sprint NOT be informed of such an incident?  My helpdesk people
noticed the problem within about 2 minutes of the event.

Other than that, Sprint has been *very* good to us.  The router we're
plugged into seems a little less than 100% reliable, but all but one problem
went un-noticed.

Troy Settle
iPlus Internet Services