Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 02:51:10 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rapha=EBl_Ding=E9?= <raphael.dinge@ohmforce.com>
To:        "Brian" <bri@sonicboom.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X over ethernet is too much slow...

> Using compression flag on the ssh client ?

No. But I've just tried. It slows down a little, but not much. I
would say that pictures do not takes 2 seconds but 2.5 seconds.
Well. But it's quite far from 1/4 ;)

> processing power of either station getting overwhelmed by the bursty
> graphics demands.

Also I tried with blowfish option, but this give me absolutely
the same speed than with the default 3des.

But well I'm using cygwin, so perhaps it comes from here. In fact :
- software server is on FreeBSD
- *but* X server is on the Windows PCs

I don't know how the computers deals with that, since all thing
related to X are not set on the FreeBSD PC, and as far as I see,
it does not need to.

I was also thinking about tcp send space, since I let the
default 32K for now.
I've read the handbook about optimizing that but they say that :
- if applications are network intensive, have to increase
sendspace and rcvspace (it seems that that's my case)
- if they are not to many connections, increase sendspace
(that's my case)
- up to 65536, have to check that remote PCs (Windows PC)
support rfc1323 if I understand well
but the handbook won't tell how much I should give, and I'm sure
that it's might be some experience related settings, but I'm a
newbie...
What would be a good value ? Should I only test ? Do I need to
reboot after having set those values using sysctl ?

Thanks,

Raphael