Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:26:38 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Michael O'Henly <michael@tenzo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Naming ethernet NICs

Michael O'Henly <michael@tenzo.com> types:
> On Tuesday 10 April 2001 14:50, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:
> > .......... that is exactly why I stopped concentrating on Linux and
> > moved over to Unix based OS's to get a broader scope of things. Not
> > only are the NIC's named different, but the devices.
> So if NICs are named on the basis of their type/driver, doesn't that mean a
> lot of reconfiguring is needed if you should happen to replace a card with
> something different?

I wouldn't say "a lot". If your kernel is configured for that device,
you'll have to rebuild it. You can avoid that by using modules for the
devices if you wish. If you don't do that, you have to rebuild the
kernel no matter what the device name is.

The only file I've configured outside the kernel is /etc/rc.conf. The
only other one that comes to mind as possibly needing to be changed is
the firewall configuration file.

From what was said here, if I chose to go with modules I'd have to
change about the same for FreeBSD as I do for Linux. On Linux, it's
the module aliases that tie the device to the eth0 name; on FreeBSD,
it's rc.conf that ties the device name to an IP address.

	<mike