Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 17:39:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jmutter <jmutter@ds.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS_ROOT question

I'm trying to build a system similar to Sun's Jumpstart for FreeBSD but
I'm running into some problems with the NFS_ROOT option.

Here's the current setup:
 * Intel Pro100 w/PXE
 * ISC DHCP v3 acting as a bootp server

 * Intel NIC is able to load "/tftpboot/pxeloader" which in turn loads the
kernel from the "/data/bsdfs" which is an nfs exported share.
 * Kernel boots and loads kernfs.ko

Now I'm stuck.  I'm looking at this right now:

pxe_open: server addr: XXX.YYY.134.10
pxe_optn: server path: /data/bsdfs
pxe_open gateway_ip:  XXX.YYY.135.1
Booting [kernel]...
Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xc028b000
Perloaded elf module "kernfs.ko" at 0xc28b09c
bootpc_init: using network interface 'fxp0'
bootpc hw address is 0:90:27:af:7c:75
My ip address is XXX.YYY.135.119
Server ip address is XXX.YYY.134.10
Gateway ip address is 0.0.0.0 (What is this??)
Server name is XXX.YYY.134.10
boot file is pxeboot
Ignoring field type 54
Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
Router is XXX.YYY.135.1
rootfs is XXX.YYY.134.10:/data/bsdfs
Mounting root from nfs:
NFS ROOT: XXX.YYY.134.10:/data/bsdfs

And then nothing - it's just hanging there.

/data/bsdfs lives on a Solaris 2.6 box, I'v verified that it is indeed
exported and available to this machine.

(# [root@foo-bar:dhcp]$ share
-               /data/bsdfs   rw   ""
)

Here's some info from the kernel:

pseudo-device   ether                   #Generic Ethernet
pseudo-device   loop                    #Network loopback device
pseudo-device   bpf                     #Berkeley packet filter

# One of these is mandatory:
options         FFS                     #Fast filesystem
options         MFS                     #Memory File System
options         NFS                     #Network File System

options         NFS_ROOT                #NFS usable as root device
options         FFS_ROOT
options         MFS_ROOT

# An embedded system might want to run something other than init.
# options       INIT_PATH="/stand/sysinstall"
options         INIT_PATH="/sbin/init:/stand/sysinstall"

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim