Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 16:36:40 +1000
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, ckwen <ckwen@eembox.ee.ncku.edu.tw>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ethernet switch type and freebsd  (Re: can two fast ethernet cards work in a freebsd box ?)

On Sat, Oct 16, 1999 at 09:36:54PM -0600, Wes Peters wrote:
> jonathan michaels wrote:
> > especially if i had lots of collisions.
>
> Yes, every machine plugged into a hub is in a shared collision domain.
> In a switched environment, the collision domain consists of the switch
> and the host, so there are NO collisions.  Even an inexpensive layer 2
> switch provides these benefits.

i've heard a reasonable amount of chatter, when its been
raised, about switch "layer N".

specifically, is thier support in freebsd fro different switch
'layers', i realise that i should "look in the code", but i'm
afraid i wouldn't know what to look for.

if this 'layering' is in freebsd, how effective is it and does
one need to follow  a specific type of layering protocol (rfc
blahblah and or blabberblabber, etc).

> > reliable equipment has becme more than a bit quirky.
>
> Unfortunately, even inexpensive switches aren't all that inexpensive.

yes, more expensive than even a good hub. but, certainly much
cheaper than moving house as one chappie suggested (not
sarcastically) and my favoured resolution .. grin, sort off.

warm regards & best wishes.

jonathan