Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2019 09:12:58 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Importing mksh in base

On January 25, 2019 8:57:51 AM PST, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD=2Eorg>=
 wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I would like to import mksh in base, https://www=2Emirbsd=2Eorg/mksh=2Eht=
>And make it the default root shell (not necessary in one step)
>
>Why:
>1/ it is tiny 400k (in the packaged version) all other shells fitting
>the
>expectation are bigger
>2/ it's default frontend in interactive mode is very close to what most
>people
>are used to with bash and shells as default root shell on other BSD and
>most
>linuxes
>3/ from my narrow window csh as a default root shell is one of the
>major
>complaint (usually the first thing a user get faced to) from new comers
>and
>also for some long timers who are reinstalling a machine and have not
>yet
>installed/configured a bourne compatible shell
>
>What this proposal is _NOT_ about:
>1/ the removal of tcsh from base
>2/ any kid of denial of the quality and interest or features of csh
>
>What do you think?
>Best regards,
>Bapt

Why not ksh93 instead? It is the original and authoritative Korn shell=2E =
EPL is compatible with the BSD license=2E Personally, I've been toying with=
 the idea of importing ksh93 for a while now=2E

As to replacing root's shell, replacing tcsh is a large POLA violation=2E =
 Maybe give users the option at install time instead=2E=20
--=20
Pardon the typos and autocorrect, small keyboard in use=2E
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy=2ESchubert@cschubert=2Ecom>
FreeBSD UNIX: <cy@FreeBSD=2Eorg> Web: http://www=2EFreeBSD=2Eorg

	The need of the many outweighs the greed of the few=2E