Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 1996 00:00:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: conf/1756: timeout on fd0

The following reply was made to PR conf/1756; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To: alain@xon.co.uk
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 08:48:56 +0200 (MET DST)

 As alain@xon.co.uk wrote:

 > I get timeouts on fd0 each time I try to do tars or dds either
 > when saving or reading.
 > My configuration is a Cyrix P150+ on an Asustek T2P4. I use an EIDE
 > DD, ATAPI CD and a VGA card - quite basic.

 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > For each read/write to floppy (3.5 - 1.44 NEC)

 Normally, this is far too weak to serve as a useful bug report.
 Remember, the ``How-To-Repeat'' was meant to help somebody else
 repeating your problem, we trust you that it is repeatable for you.
 (No, the problem is not repeatable for others, except for owners of
 boards with the UMC8669F chip.  But you didn't write this detail
 explicitly, it's incident that we already know about this problem.)

 Upgrade to a newer version of FreeBSD.  The UMC8669F chip has several
 imcompatibilities with the original hardware it tries to clone.  The
 floppy controller flaw has been worked around in FreeBSD 2.1.5, or
 2.2-current on 1996/03/31.  The UART bug is (partially?) worked around
 in FreeBSD 2.2-current since 1996/09/30.  (What is this bug?  Well,
 try running UUCP over it...)

 In case you don't wanna upgrade, get back to me in mail, and i will
 send you a patch for the floppy stuff.

 Btw., if the board is under warranty, get it replaced by something
 that doesn't use the UMC8669F.  We've successfully had boards with
 these chips replaced because they are plain buggy.

 --
 cheers, J"org