Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 23:31:10 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Edwin de Graaf <graaf@cirdan.iae.nl>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        graaf@iae.nl
Subject:   libraries in ports and ELF (3.0)

I have just compiled the TkRat port (in ports/mail/tkrat) on
3.0-19981003-BETA. This took some doing because one of the libraries
Tkrat depends on is installed as libc-client.so.2.1. The ELF ld does
not recognize a library name like that, so the port would not link.

I have gotten it to compile by manually moving the library to
libc-client.so.2 and creating a symbolic link to it called
libc-client.so. Oh, and I also changed the dependancy in the TkRat
Makefile to read c-client.2 instead of c-client.2.1.

I thought I would mention this in case others have the same problem. If
everyone already knew this just ignore me, and I will go away ;-).

Best regards,
Edwin de Graaf