Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 17:55:20 -0600
From:      "Thill, Daniel Gerard (UMR-Student)" <thill@umr.edu>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "'johng54429@hotmail.com'" <johng54429@hotmail.com>
Subject:   RE: PPP blank authname

> Hello, I have a problem getting my ppp connection
> to work under freebsd.
> Whenever I dial papchap to connect to my ISP, it
> dials and then when it is
> supposed to send the username I get an error
> message saying "error sending
> blank authname" or something to that effect.  I
> know there is nothing wrong

<snip>

> default:
> ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)
>
> # Ensure that "device" references the correct serial port
> # for your modem. (cuaa0 = COM1, cuaa1 = COM2)
> #
> set device /dev/cuaa0
> set login
> set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
> set speed 115200
> set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \
>            \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T
> TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
> set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
> set timeout 120			# 3 mintue
> idle timer (the default)
> add default HISADDR			# Add a
> (sticky) default route
> enable dns				# request
> DNS info (for resolv.conf)
>
> papchap:
>
> #
> # edit the next three lines and replace the items
> in caps with
> # the values which have been assigned by your ISP.
> #
>
> set phone <field>
> set authname <field>
> set authkey <field>

Unless your email got mangled a bit in transit, it appears that you need to
indent all the lines below each dialing profile section at least once space.
ie:

default:
   # command
   # command
   # etc

papchap:
   set phone <field>
   set authname <field>
   set authkey <field>

Give this a try.  Everything else look okay.

-dan