Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 22:05:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Russ Jessup <rwj4006@labs.tamu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAPMAKER3

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, Russ Jessup wrote:

> Help!
>
> Is it possible to run MAPMAKER3, a free package developed at MIT
> (http://waldo.wi.mit.edu/ftp/distribution/software/), on a BSD
> platform?  The pc and mac versions blow, Linux/SystemV causes compiling
> errors, and our lab's Sun station has been removed.  The program has
> source code for the old Sun O/S at the above site.  I guarantee multiple
> sales/users if it works!...

Well, as a special favor I tried my best to get it working, since
I don't know how the program works or what it really does I'm
relying on you to get back to me to tell me if my changes worked.

Here's how you can apply the changes I made:

go get:

http://big.endian.org/~bright/freebsd/patches/mapm3.diff

unpack the source from the map program, then type in the dir
you unpacked it into:

patch -p1 < mapm3.diff

(the file you got from my site)

then compile it like this:

make SYS=-D_SYS_FREEBSD COMPILE="gcc -g -fwritable-strings"

please, please, PLEASE... get back to me to tell me if the
program works, if it doesn't work as it should i'll see
what I can do.

good luck, and get a virus scanner :)

-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|bright@wintelcom.net]
systems administrator and programmer