Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 10:55:10 -0800
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Arman Hazairin <arman@ai3.net>
Cc:        bmah@california.sandia.gov, Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP connection hang

--==_Exmh_1659358018P

If memory serves me right, Arman Hazairin wrote:

> If you look into the last ack, it's about 4K of data being transferred.

Yes.  What's also kind of interesting is the inital 128-byte segment that gets
sent...I wouldn't have expected this from a bulk transfer application.

> It
> is almost the same in ftp application,

What's the application under test?  If FTP behaves similarly it might not
matter lots, I guess.  (I was thinking that if the receiver wasn't actually
reading the data, it could cause this, but then we'd see different window size
advertisements from receiver to sender.)

> if i do that in that two box,
> vice versa.
> I've tried to turn off rfc1323 and rfc1644 option, still doesn't work.
> Any hint ?

Ummm.  Let me ask this one more time....what's the network path like between
your two machines?

I assume at this point the SCO box is trying to shove a huge file over the
FreeBSD machine, right?  What happens if you try to go the opposite direction?
(Is that what you meant by "vice versa" above?)

Also, where is your tcpdump trace being taken?  Is it on one of the two
endhosts or at some point in the middle?

Do you regularly do other types of communication over this path (e.g. HTTP,
telnet, anything?)?  If so, how do they fare?

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1659358018P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNRgBjqjOOi0j7CY9AQGe6gQAiXz5pcecVpoLoqQ1R1axkvi+vPdP8Mbn
yL/3+8xdSurKzNkxC0SV3Xl/EqmfVnVFn/G3BjNeYtIwx9ItFbgB2r98ZqdoTYRl
RjcpE9ZLd4iovu0wGeSn1TOBmbXH5k+ztD4vfBWOw5qo1J645jOzgZcmgvBtjJzr
pkT4sdshKPM=
=cg/q
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_1659358018P--