Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:03:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Jimmy Olgeni <olgeni@FreeBSD.org>, Alan Clegg <abc@bsdi.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Seems one of the "defacement" groups now uses beastie.

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:

> Jimmy Olgeni <olgeni@FreeBSD.org> types:
> > On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > > Well, it's not an image I've seen on Kirk's site, so it's not likely
> > > they violated his copyright by taking it from their. I suspect they
> > > drew (or commisioned) their own, meaning it's perfectly legal for them
> > > to do so.
> > Looks like they got it from http://www.trustedbsd.org/.
>
> Sure does, at that. That one belongs to Leigh Denault, who points you to
> Kirk for permission to use Leigh's work. Which means they really do need
> Kirk's approval. Which is all very cool.

Yup -- sure enough, this is the TrustedBSD Daemon being used without
permission, and after removing the artist's name from the image.  On the
one hand, I'm glad her name was removed before it was posted on the front
page of a defaced site -- on the other hand, it's definitely a product of
use without permission :-).  The TrustedBSD daemon was created by Leigh
and is used with the permission of Kirk McKusick since he claims rights
relating to the BSD Daemon.  The hacked site is somewhat entertaining, and
I'm fine with the Attrition people keeping a copy up for that purpose, but
would generally discourage use of the logo for things not specifically
associated with the TrustedBSD Project.

This is actually the second copyright violation I've come across over the
last few weeks.  The first was that the OpenRoot people are selling
OpenRoot t-shirts with the TrustedBSD logo on them.  Apparently they
didn't realize that leaving the name on the image and then selling it
constitutes acknowledgement, and not permission.  For those in any doubt:
acknowledging is not the same as getting permission.