Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 1999 23:39:26 -0800
From:      "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cons25 && (midc, /stand/sysinstall, etc)

-----Original Message-----
From: Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Sunday, December 26, 1999 1:18 PM

>Duke Normandin wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
> > TERM=cons25
> > vidcontrol -b lightblue -c destructive -m on 80x25 white blue
> >
> > 2 problems:
> > a. midc & /stand/sysinstall come up in color, except the borders
around
> > every "window" are only "chars", i.e. "garbage"
>
>What font are you using?  If it's a Latin1 font (ISO 8859-1),
>then you should use TERM=cons25l1, not cons25.  The easiest
>way to accomplish this is to replace "cons25" by "cons25l1" in
>your /etc/ttys file (type "kill -HUP 1" to let the change take
>effect without having to reboot).  The log out and log in, and
>your TERM should be set correctly.

I'm not sure... I've changed it so often that I can't remember what the
last one was ;) Anyhow, now that I know what to tinker with, I'll
experiment with your suggestion.

> > b. when I exit midc & /stand/sysinstall my screen is back to the
default
> > white on black.
>
>Sorry, can't help you about this one.  I'm not using colors at
>all.  In my opinion, a real UNIX console is not supposed to
>have colors.  :-)

Yeh, but "real UNIX consoles" are for "real UNIX users"... I'm just a
UNIX peasant ;)

> > Mail archives indicated that these (and others, I suppose) apps.
reset
> > the console but did not offer much of a solution. Would a simple
shell
> > script that ran midc (for example) and did the vidcontrol thing as
above
> > work?
>
>Probably.
>
>#!/bin/sh -
>midc "$@"
>vidcontrol ... [whatever]
>
>Save the above as /usr/local/bin/mc, chmod 755 it, and you
>should be done.

Thanks for the script example! What does the "$@" do/mean?

-duke