Date:      09 Jan 2002 13:56:16 +1130
From:      Andrew Reid <andrew.reid@plug.cx>
To:        Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
Cc:        Carl Tucker <cft@panix.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spamming FreeBSD lists.

On Wed, 2002-01-09 at 12:40, Ken McGlothlen wrote:

> | Bad idea, I think.  That message condones spamming the list.  It says you can
> | spam, and it costs $100.  The optional last sentence shows what you get for
> | your money.
>
> No, it doesn't cost $100.  It costs $100 multiplied by the number of
> subscribers.  Or more.  I'm not stuck on $100---$1000, $10K, whatever.

D'you seriously think that a spammer is going to /pay/ the FreeBSD
Foundation money for the privilege of spamming? As if they'd pay up!

> | I don't want to be an a list that sells advertising.
>
> Think of it as a way for the FreeBSD Foundation to get more funding for the
> spam it's already besieged with.

That's all well and good, but it doesn't get rid of the problem. Let's
suppose that spammers actually pay. Are we without the inconvenience of
the unwanted advertising? Nup.

'Nuf said.

   - andrew

--
Andrew J. Reid                    "Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem
andrew.reid@plug.cx               mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane