Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 12:42:19 -0800
From:      Eugene Lee <eugene@anime.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ntpdate not working

Hi,

I'm having a problem getting ntpdate to set the time.  It seems to be
getting the correct offset, but it's not setting the time.

	# date; ntpdate ncar.ucar.edu; date
	Thu Mar  8 14:06:55 CST 2001
	 8 Mar 14:06:56 ntpdate[6112]: adjust time server 192.52.106.6 offset -85899.283840 sec
	Thu Mar  8 14:06:56 CST 2001

The time zone is correct.  The machine just thinks that it's in the
future by a day.  This is 4.2-RELEASE.

I also set the machine with an "extreme" security level when I first
installed FreeBSD.  Could that be related to the problem?  I remember
reading somewhere about kern.securelevel affecting whether you could
install a new kernel in multiuser mode or you have to reboot to
single-user mode.  My machine is set to kernel.securelevel: 2.

Oddly, I did catch this in /var/log/messages:

	Mar  8 12:10:31 localhost /kernel: Time adjustment clamped to -1 second

Is there a LINT config option to override this?

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

--
Eugene Lee
eugene@anime.net